Friday, January 29, 2010

40 weeks!

Being 40 weeks pregnant is a curious thing. For so long you've counted down to this one date, thinking you've just got to make it so far. Then about a month out, you start thinking "Hey, this could happen even sooner! I might have a baby in just a couple weeks!" Then that window passes you by, and you hit 39 weeks. People start giving you the old wives tales ("Walk a lot!" "Castor oil!" "Have sex!" "Mexican food!"). Each person thinks that they're the first one to give you that advice, so you just smile and pretend that it's a great idea. (For the record, the thought of Mexican food currently makes me want to hurl.) While you're warding off all the well-meaning advice givers, the reality slowly sets in that that "magical" date just might come and go. So you're excited that you've reached your due date, but still you're waiting. It's a slight shift in mindset, and somewhat disappointing. But honestly, I'm doing well. Not too uncomfortable, not too moody (although Stewart might beg to differ.) Stewart's parents and sister came to town today to "walk me around" some, although we ended up going to a movie and dinner instead. I re-cleaned the apartment this morning, as I tend to do every Saturday morning, so now it's spic-and-span and ready for the baby's big arrival. I've decided that I'm going to work Monday, Tuesday, and Wednesday, and then hang it up whether I've had the baby or not. That's already three more days than I had been planning to work, so I will feel pretty accomplished in that. I go back to the doctor next Thursday if I haven't had the baby by then, and at that point we may start talking about an induction early the following week. Hoping that we don't even get that far...

I know everyone is anxious for some news, and trust me we're eager to give you some. The hospital does have wifi so hopefully we'll be able to post an update and maybe even some pictures pretty quickly. In the meantime, here's what I hope will be my last belly picture!

4 comments:

  1. I'm SOOOO excited for you. Patient, but excited :o) Do yourself a HUGE favor and DON'T give in to people's suggestions to use castor oil. I doubt anyone makes it to 40 weeks without looking in to it, so I won't elaborate on the side effects.

    You still look absolutely radiant. I remember looking worn-the-heck-out by the end of my pregnancy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You look great! I had a friend who tried both the castor oil and the having sex suggestions. She said at the 40 week point, the castor oil was the more pleasant of the two. :-) Neither worked.

    I'll be annoying and add one more suggestion though--Mayan Chocolate ice cream. The Gainesville Sun did a story on all the women who went into labor after eating it at D-Lites. Supposedly the Haagen Daz one is similar, since a trip to G-ville probably isn't on your to-do list. Something about the cinnamon spice in it? I don't know, at least it sounds kinda yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oops, the story was on Mexican food--sorry! http://www.gainesville.com/article/20060508/LOCAL/205080324 (the two women in the middle are physicians we know).

    That story was published on Will's birth day, so I didn't see it originally--now trying to remember who told me about the ice cream. I know two girls I worked with got a free pint from D-Lites because they were so pregnant the manager took pity on them. Oh well, a little ice cream never hurts anything. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Maybe this isn't what you want to hear, but I would never guess that you were already at your due date by looking at this picture! Can't wait to get the big news.

    ReplyDelete