Thursday, December 3, 2009

Students tell it like it is

I used to be intimidated by working with kids in 4th and 5th grade, but I've come to appreciate and enjoy them. Today my 5th grade boys absolutely cracked me up. We've been talking about different parts of speech, and today we were focusing on adjectives. After reviewing the fact that an adjective is a word that describes a noun, I told them to choose any noun and we would think of adjectives to describe it. Well, the noun they chose was me. So we spent the next several minutes thinking of words that describe Mrs. G. I got "nice", "funny", "helpful", etc. Both boys know I'm having a baby and they talk about it pretty frequently, so I prompted them to think of an adjective to describe me right now (while indicating my obvious belly.) One caught on and started to say "pregnant", while the other one gleefully declared the best adjective to describe Mrs. G at the moment......."BIG"!!
I literally doubled over in laughter, and then explained to this dear child that he should never, ever tell a woman that she looks 'big'.

Later in the session, one boy told me now that I'm having a baby, I need a minivan. The other insisted that only old people drive minivans.

See why I like 5th graders now?

1 comment:

  1. HEY!! I'm in the market for a minivan! (We're going to be outgrowing our little four door before long....shhhhh.) ;o)

    ReplyDelete