Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Random Tuesday thoughts....

I apologize if none of this is of interest to anyone else....
  • Is it possible for a baby to be TOO active?? Seriously, the last few days have convinced me that we're going to have a wild man on our hands.
  • I've pretty much decided to get the H1N1 vaccine, after much consideration. If I didn't work in a school, I might have made a different decision. Now that the media is saying that vaccines should be available to the high-risk populations this week (like pregnant women with asthma), I can't get any information about getting one around here! My primary care physician (and I use the term "my" loosely, since I've only seen him once) said they are not likely to get any. The health department doesn't have any and doesn't know when they are going to get any. I'm wondering if I should go ahead and get my regular flu shot, just in case it takes a while to find an H1N1 vaccine. And in case you were wondering, yes, there have been cases of H1N1 at my school. So far not as widespread as they were anticipating, but it's still early in the season...
  • I switched to a new OB/GYN just before I got pregnant, mainly because my former OB doesn't deliver at the local hospital that has a NICU. Well I'm glad I switched when I did because this morning I saw a commercial for a new medical weight loss center, and the physician they have on staff is the doctor I used to go to! So I guess I would have had to switch anyway, since he seems to have had a bit of a career shift.

1 comment:

  1. Hey! My 2 cents--go ahead and get the regular flu shot. Pregnant women need to get the shot (not the mist), so it won't interfere with getting the H1N1 shot when it becomes available.

    Our health department here has not received the H1N1 vaccine yet, but expect it within the next 2 weeks. The vaccine is made the same way as the regular flu shot and went through clinical trials and has the same safety profile as the regular seasonal flu shot. We have had lots of H1N1 here, and the vast majority of our patients have recovered just fine. But there have been several kids in the hospital with flu, and rumor has it that we just had a pregnant woman die of flu complications in our community. I'll be getting both vaccines and would do the same if I was pregnant (got the regular seasonal shot during both pregnancies). As a perk, you would pass along some of your antibodies to the baby, so that may give him a little passive immunity to the flu--a good thing since he'll be born during flu season!

    Not to be pushy!--I just get asked about the shot at least 20-30 times a day at work from parents and pregnant ladies, so thought I'd contribute!

    ReplyDelete