Saturday, October 10, 2009

24 weeks

I'm 24 weeks along today, and not much new to report. I ended up coming down with a cold or upper respiratory infection of some kind this week. Normally I wouldn't have gone to the doctor, but with all this scary flu talk I decided not to take any chances. They tested me for strep and the flu, both were negative. (Well, the strep was negative and they never called me back with the flu results, which I assume means it was negative as well.) When the nurse was getting all my intake info, she asked "And when was the first day of your last period?" When I said "April 25th" she kind of gave me this funny look, so I continued with "which makes me almost 24 weeks pregnant." She acted shocked. "I never would have known," she exclaimed. Sigh. And I was feeling like I actually looked pregnant that day.

I'm still in research mode for baby gear, since I'm trying to get the registries settled. In big ticket items, we're leaning toward the Chicco Keyfit infant carseat with the Maclaren Easy Traveler stroller frame, and then the City Mini stroller when he outgrows the infant seat. This week I've spent lots of time thinking about baby carriers/wraps, so thanks to those of you who have already weighed in on that topic. Anyone else who has opinions or experience, feel free to chime in. The front runners include:
A Moby-style wrap like this one from Etsy seller LoveyDuds


An asian-style baby carrier like this Baby Hawk


and a soft-structured carrier like the Beco Butterfly


All a bit pricey, but I keep hearing that many others (even the Baby Bjorn) can get really uncomfortable on the back and shoulders. I have issues with my shoulders (carry lots of tension there) that tend to lead to migraines, so I know I need something that's going to be supportive and evenly distribute the baby's weight.

So.....since I'm more than halfway through the second trimester and haven't done my little pregnancy survey, I figured I should go ahead and do it. Here ya go!
How far along?
24 weeks
Total weight gain/loss: Believe it or not, around 20 lbs. Eeek.
Maternity clothes? Absolutely. Also loving my new yoga pants from Target, whenever I'm hanging around the apartment.
Sleep: Not too bad, actually. I even occasionally make it through the night without getting up to pee.
Best moment this week: Non-baby related, but I think it had to be Jim & Pam getting married! (I know technically this happened last week, but we just watched it last night.) I literally sobbed.....thanks a lot pregnancy hormones- or maybe I'm just a sap. My favorite line was right at the end: "The boat was actually Plan C, the church was Plan B, and Plan A was marrying her a long time ago. Pretty much the day I met her."
Movement: Dance Party USA is going on in my uterus.
Food cravings: Just pumpkin stuff, but I think that's more fall-related than pregnancy-related.
Gender: Boy!
Labor Signs: Nope
Belly Button in or out? Still very much in....maybe it will stay that way.
What I miss: Nothing really!
What I am looking forward to: Looking obviously pregnant, even to people who don't know me.
Weekly Wisdom: I'm currently lacking in the wisdom department.
Milestones: A big increase in viability occurs this week! Meaning if I went into labor this week, the baby would have a 50%-70% chance of surviving (as opposed to the 20%-35% chance if born week 23 or earlier.) Obviously I'm planning on keeping the little one in there for a good 16 more weeks, but it's pretty amazing that his body is developed enough to have a chance for making it.

AND finally, it's belly picture time! Here I am, modeling my one purchase from the Seaside garage sale last weekend!


And a front shot. I just loved the print, and figured even if I didn't wear it more than once or twice, maybe I can make something out of the fabric someday.

1 comment:

  1. check out Erika's opinions on baby gear at http://blog.urbangrace.com/ . She has posted her favortie post newborn items recently. You look great! Love, Em

    ReplyDelete