Sunday, June 14, 2009

Telling the family- Part 2

This weekend it was my turn to tell my family, first my mom and then my little brother. I was sad that Stewart couldn't be here to tell them with me, but there was just no way he could make it all the way down here.

Here's the background info on how I told mom. Last year she spent a lot of time and effort redoing her back porch, and now when she has people over to the house she often invites them to have a cup of coffee or glass of wine on the porch. She has also started a "porch album", with pictures of people hanging out on the porch. I decided to sneak a little card in to the next blank spot that said "This space reserved for Grandbaby #1, Est. arrival January 31, 2010". Then I planned to nonchalantly flip through the album and ask her "Hey, who is this??" Well, I got the card in the album without her seeing, but getting her to sit down long enough to look at it was another story. She was all over the place, watering flowers, doing this and that. Finally I just said "Why don't you sit down and talk to me?" I already had the album open to the first page, as if I were just looking at the pictures. She said "Oh, I need to get some more pictures in there!", so I flipped to the page with the card and said "Well here's a new one; what is this one?" and handed her the album. She stared at it, confused, for at least fifteen (loooong) seconds. She kept muttering "Huh? Grandbaby? Who?" I even had my camera poised and ready to take a picture of her reaction, but apparently that didn't even tip her off. Of course, she got it eventually!


Here is the page in the album.




The next day I got to tell my brother, on his 26th birthday. I knew he would be psyched, because he has been begging me for a niece or nephew for a while now. He is great with kids and will be a great uncle. He lives in New York, but thankfully we have recently discovered the joys of Skype so I was able to see his reaction. Mom was standing by and took pictures of the computer screen to capture his expression.




I made it through last night's wedding without telling anyone. My BFF did inquire again about my not drinking, and I just said that I have been getting bad headaches every time I have something to drink, so I was just staying away from it for a while. (This is not really untrue, because I've had lots of headache issues in the past, and drinking almost always does bring them on.) The only person who came right out and asked me was my friend Becky's husband, Josh. Luckily, the way he phrased the questions made it pretty easy for me to get out of it. He said "So I'm curious, did you really come down here for your mom's surgery, or to tell her that you're pregnant?" Well, since my mom is having a knee replacement on Tuesday and I'm here for a month to take care of her, it was pretty easy to say "Nope, I'm here for the surgery!" I'm surprised that none of the girls asked me...but then again, Becky is probably responsible for putting Josh up to asking!

Just for fun, here's a picture of us girls at the wedding. We've been friends since middle school, more than 15 years!

No comments:

Post a Comment