Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Work dilemma RESOLVED!!

So a few weeks ago I mentioned the decision I'd been agonizing over, regarding my return to work. Basically we had been trying to decide whether or not I would return to work for the 8 remaining weeks of the school year, after taking 8 weeks off for maternity leave. I can't tell you how many hours I stressed, cried, and worried over this decision. I told myself over and over that it was only eight weeks and I would survive, but deep in my heart I did not want to leave my child at two months old to return to work full time. I had a hard time explaining it even to Stewart; usually I would just end up a sobbing, incoherent mess. On the other hand, I was feeling quite a bit of guilt at the thought of leaving our family without an income for longer than I had to. I went back and forth with the decision, but ultimately knew that I did not want to go back. A few weeks ago I shared my dilemma with my co-worker and friend, and she asked about whether I thought they would let me come back part time. Of course I had thought of that, but had quickly dismissed the idea because I didn't think the school district would go for it. But once my friend brought it up, I couldn't get it out of my head. Stewart and I went over and over the numbers to make sure that we would be able to make it financially, even if the school district nixed the idea of returning part time. Finally one morning a couple weeks ago I got up and was just ready to have the decision made. I had to wake Stewart up to discuss it one last time before I left for work. We knew we had to be prepared for the possibility that it would be full-time or nothing. I thought even if they would consider allowing me to come back part-time for those last weeks, that it would be a while before they could let me know for sure. Well, it turned out even better than I could have hoped! Of course they were disappointed but were immediately willing to talk about a part-time option. Basically without much difficulty, we decided that I would come back for two days a week to finish out the school year. The girl who is filling in for me three days a week during my maternity leave is willing to stay to cover the other three days each week. I cannot even begin to tell you how relieved I feel that it has worked out this way! I know I can handle two days a week, and Stewart can watch the baby on those days. I will still feel like I'm contributing a little bit financially, but don't have that feeling of dread that I would get when I thought about being gone for five days a week. Now will everyone join me in a big sigh of relief?

1 comment:

  1. Yay! I work 2 days a week (not counting call) and I think it's the perfect amount! Enough work-time to make me feel like I accomplished something tangible (not that I don't accomplish stuff at home, but it's more hectic!) but not so much that I feel like I'm missing out on the kids. :-)

    ReplyDelete