Sunday, August 2, 2009

14 weeks

I'm having difficulty posting any pictures right now, and I'm not sure why, so this might be an image-free post. Which actually works out quite well since I haven't taken a 14-week belly shot yet. I'm also a day late in posting (such a bad blogger) because we decided to spend yesterday at the beach and then met Stewart's parents for a last minute dinner. I might have overdone it yesterday because I woke up with a raging headache and haven't been able to completely get rid of it yet.

The last week has been really good and has flown by. I spent 3 hours at the hair place getting my hair cut and highlighted, so I'm feeling much better about my appearance now that my 5-inch roots have been taken care of. Overall I've felt great; no more nausea until today, which I think it headache related. The baby is 3 1/2 inches from head to bottom, about the size of a lemon. He or she can squint, frown, grimace, pee, and maybe even suck his or her thumb. My daily update e-mails are starting to say things like "You're probably finding it hard to hide your pregnancy now; you're definitely showing!" or "You're most likely in maternity clothes by now." But in reality, I don't think anyone would able to tell that I'm pregnant (and still no maternity clothes yet.) My belly might be rounding out just a bit, but still nothing that screams "pregnancy". Which is actually good thing, because I start school next week and still haven't told my principal that I'm pregnant. It would be kind of embarrassing to walk in with an obvious baby bump and shock the heck out of everybody. Hopefully I can manage to corner the principal sometime on the first day back and fill her in.

Thursday we drove two hours to scope out some baby merchandise. Yes, we had to drive that far to even go to a stinkin' BabiesRUS, much less any other stores that carry car seats, strollers, etc. I'm getting so frustrated now that I'm starting to try to get an idea of what I want, but have nowhere to test or try them out. I'm going to have to rely a lot on friend recommendation (Bri? Angie? hint, hint!), so if you have something that you love, let me know! The main things I've been looking at lately are infant car seats, strollers, and upholstered gliders.

One thing I've learned in this shopping-for-baby process is that it's like learning a new language. I re-read an e-mail I had sent to a friend about all this, and realized that if I had read the e-mail 6 months ago, I wouldn't have had a clue what I had written! It's like this secret code of baby stuff that you never even know exists until you're in the midst of it. And if I was getting a grade for pronunciation in this new baby-stuff language, I would fail! I can't tell you the number of times I have asked someone about a particular brand or product, only to realize that I've butchered the name. Three popular stroller and car seat manufacturers stand out....apparently Peg Perego is pronounced Peg PAIR-uh-go (not Peg Per-AY-go), Britax is BRIGHT-ax (not Brit-ax), and the worst, Chicco might possibly be pronounced KEY-coh (not like the Spanish word for "boy".) Now, I'm still not 100% convinced about this last one, but the salesman in one of the baby stores pronounced it this way several times, and he really seemed to know his stuff. It's all made me so paranoid that I don't even want to ask anyone any questions that would require me to say one of these names! What if I say it wrong? Or what if I say it right but come off sounding pretentious because everyone else says it wrong (Chico, anyone?) And I'm about 99% sure that I'm the only person who has ever put so much thought into this.

Anyway, I start back to school with workshops Tuesday and Wednesday (skipping Monday's because of a dentist appointment), and then Thursday starts teacher pre-planning. I'd be lying if I said I was looking forward to going back, but hopefully getting back to school and back into a routine will just make the time go by faster until baby is born! I realized on Friday (while at my hair appt.) that it was exactly 6 months until my due date! My stylist commented that it seemed like a long time, but to me it seems like the exact opposite. For so long we talked about our baby timeline in terms of years, so the fact that in 6 months we'll actually be holding our baby.....well that seems like it's right around the corner! And I can't wait. :-)

3 comments:

  1. They opened a store called "Our New Baby" in Thomasville (when I had mine they only had one in Dothan) and they can be great for info and hands on....some can be pricy but may be worth looking into. You may have already known that.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Followed you over from the bump and have been enjoying your blog (especially beacuse we have the same due date). Thanks for educating me on the way to say those product names! That is hysterical that I have been saying them wrong all along only in my head so far, so you saved me some weird looks from the outside world. :) I too just colored the gray hair that was springing up out of control and making it hard to check myself out in the mirror....feels so good now! :) Anyway, good luck going back to school and hope that belly doesn't pop before then.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, I knew about "Chicco," believe it or not. But I still say Peg Per-ay-go and Bri-tax--and I'm sticking with it!!

    I'd be happy to send you my opinions on what we bought for both kids (since we ended up selling/giving away lots of Will's stuff before Anna was born due to all the moving, we've bought lots of stuff). When we registered for Will, I used a book called "Baby Bargains" by Alan and Denise Fields (they also wrote "Bridal Bargains")--it had lots of good reviews and tips.

    I'll email you the lowdown on what we have/like/hate.

    ReplyDelete