Sunday, May 31, 2009

Welcome to my secret pregnancy journal!

I have officially become a child of the technology age. Soon after we learned we were pregnant (more on that later, of course), I attempted to start writing in a journal, something that I have done on and off throughout the years. But I found that I couldn't write fast enough, was frustrated by my sloppy handwriting, and wanted to do things like add pictures. So, I turned to the internet, but not without taking precautions. I am so paranoid about someone finding out about this blog that I even made a new gmail/blogger account, just so there was no way that anyone could accidentally come across it. So if you're reading this, you are one of two types of people: a) members of "The Bump" who don't actually know me in real life, or b) a very select group of family members who know our happy news. Actually right now, there isn't anyone who falls in that second category, since we haven't told anyone yet, which is killing me! But for whoever is reading this, let me catch you up....

This was our first attempt at trying for a baby, and I guess we had beginners' luck! I honestly can say that I wasn't expecting that I would get pregnant on the first try. Of course I was hoping it would happen, but I was realistic and trying not to get my hopes up. I took my first pregnancy test (from the Dollar Store) way earlier than I should have (10DPO, for you charters) , so I really didn't think I would see that second line that I so desperately wanted to see. I knew I was looking for a line, but really what I saw was a shadow of a line. I woke Stewart up and he agreed that maybe it could be a line. So I just decided that it was too early to test and I'd try again in two days. Well, that plan was shortlived, because by the time I got home from work I was dying to test again. Stewart wasn't home yet, but I just couldn't wait. I used another dollar store test (no sense shelling out big bucks for my obsessiveness), and this time, there were definitely two lines. One was very faint, but it was there. Can you see it??


Well, I totally didn't react the way I thought I would. I had always envisioned myself crying, screaming, jumping up and down, etc. But I was really in such a state of shock, I was quite calm. I think I muttered "oh my gosh" a couple times, and then proceeded to wander around the house in a daze for an hour or so until Stewart got home. Poor guy hadn't even closed the door before I blurted out "I think I'm pregnant". The test was still pretty iffy....I know a line is a line, but this was still so faint that we were still kind of reserved in our reactions. We decided that I'd test the next morning with a First Response test (pulling out the big guns), and we got our confirmation. Pregnant!


It was (and still is) very early in the pregnancy, so we decided not to tell anyone yet, even though we were getting ready to spend Memorial Day with Stewart's family. We're planning to tell them in a week, when I'll be 6wks. It has been SO hard not to tell my mom, but I will be seeing her in two weeks and really want to tell her in person so I'm making myself wait. Everyone else will get the news either after our ultrasound at 12wks or after the first trimester. I've already had my first appointment, which was basically just an orientation where the nurse got my medical history, oriented me to the office, etc. I have my first ultrasound scheduled at 8wks, and I cannot wait! This truly is a dream come true!

1 comment: